A humorous exploration of a Canadian's life in Australia.

Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Why I don't like stuff from China.

Chinese manufacturers are very clever, sneaky, and downright dishonest. Back when we visited ZhengZhou I saw a rather interesting torch available for sale. It was supposedly recharged by pumping a lever by hand. With the torch off, pressing the lever generates power and the torch lights up. I even asked Lin's family to ship over a number of the torches and sold them to coworkers and such. They are a good, simple, cheap LED torch, however after running a couple of them down I noticed that no mater how long I tried to "recharge" them, they would not recharge.

So finally I decided to take one apart. Tucked away behind the light are 3x AG10 1.5V batteries. Switching the torch On drains from the batteries. Switching it off allows you to generate light via the pumping action. There is no "recharging" capability within the torch.

Frankly I'd say it's nearly impossible to trust any description of goods manufactured in China.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

I live around sunny Brisbane working around the city and generally trying not to make too much of a nuisance of myself.